Tuesday, February 19, 2008

When in Rome





I’m sure there are times in everybody’s life. .not just mine…when you do something/say something/take a position on something…that…if you weren’t WHERE you were..you just might NOT do or say something.

When I was in school in Europe..i didn’t shave my legs (loved that) and I went topless on the Lido in Venice so that I would ‘fit in’…not look so much like a tourist…pretend that I really did ‘belong’. All the while really knowing that I didn’t…but ……for just brief minutes here and there I really DID belong.

As a corporate woman..i purchased suits and shoes that the other ‘corporate dynamos’ were wearing. That gave me the image I was after…strong and independent woman of the world. I had to lay people off and fire some because it was necessary and what I needed to do at that place and time. Had to be strong that way…even when I really would have rather taken a back seat and let HR take care of it…

As a mom, I’ve joined groups to be an ‘advocate’ for my children that I otherwise would not have taken an interest in….

As a wife…I have a husband that is in love with guns. I knew when I married him that he had a fascination with them…even buying him one for a gift…I just chalked it up to a ‘reganomics’ view of the world..he didn’t play with them much and really never went out shooting….but a few times…
BUT…when we got to the south…and got some room to roam…he got a chance to play with his guns. His new buddy has plenty of land to shoot on and not worry about hitting something….
The southern way has started to change us a wee bit….

We got this post card sent home from school offering a BB gun safety and shooting class for kids. I automatically thought ‘this would be good for the girls and daddy to do together’….

WHAT???? GUNS????? WHO AM I??? CHARLTON HESTON????HAVE I LOST MY FLIPPING MIND??? OH NO…NEXT THING YOU KNOW I’LL BE JOINING THE NRA AND CHANGE POLITICAL PARTIES….(no………..no chance of that)

I couldn’t believe my reaction…
I didn’t know which side of brain to listen to???
The side that says..’you’ve never approved of guns…why would you approve now??…the other side said…’this will be a ‘bonding opportunity’ for your daughters and husband’
YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They have now been to the class twice.
So glad that Bert got to go this weekend because I got pictures!!
Did you know…the national BB gun sharp shooter is from here…
They are the only girls in the class…
I think that makes V puff up a bit….
R doesn’t seem to care.
I think shooting makes them feel a bit more powerful…….
I know their Uncle John will be proud when he sees these pictures…!!!

Hmmmm wonder what I’ll do next ???
Cook collard greens??????
Get a big hairdo???
Start wearing high heels and make up everyday?????
Man…………get me the LL Bean catalog QUICK before something else changes…!!

and something else...
to my shock and awe....i allowed papa to purchase a ball gun for mr. K....
here he is 'brandeshing his weapon'
i can just here my Gram now
" pulllleeezee Jesus "

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

VERY CUTE, Girls have fun with dad

WW

Anonymous said...

S - If you don't let me pursue some publishing opportunities on your behalf...I'll hunt you down with my paintball gun!

Hel

Anonymous said...

Just to set the recird straight! I am neither in love with or fascinated with guns. Guns are a tool, and historically have been greatly involved in the development and forming of this country. I was given a pellet rifle as a kid, went target shooting with my Dad, Grampa and friends. A safe knowledge of firearms is something every child and adult should (not must) develop. Firearms have traditionally been a way of uniting fathers, sons and daughters in hunting, sporting, and a variety of outdoor events.
I have five firearms and I could not tell you how many tools I own. I do love my tools and I am fascinated by what I can make with the tools.

Douglas