Easter is almost over. (if you are using the Liturgical Calendar that is) I think I threw away the last of the Easter candy..that is unless my son has some stashed somewhere I don’t know about. We are preparing for Pentecost. As such, there is much discussion regarding the Holy Spirit in our daily readings and indeed the Homilies of many a priest around the world. Today’s readings (ACTS 19:1-8) tell us of when Paul was traveling through the country and questioning disciples if they had received the Holy Spirit at baptism. According to scripture, some indicated that they had ‘never even heard that there is a Holy Spirit’, and Paul took this opportunity to show these men the Holy Spirit.
I do my best to follow the daily readings in my Living With Christ magazine…some days I’m very good at reading and then reflecting…other days I look at the cover as I’m rushing around the house and know that I’m getting something even if I’m just longing to read. Today provided me an opportunity to read AND reflect. Today’s reflection says, ‘As Paul discovered, some Christians know little about the Holy Spirit. Whom do I most need to thank for bringing the Holy Spirit to me?’
It didn’t take me long to answer that question. I have long long meant to Thank this particular person for bringing me life changing opportunities…but when I would think about thanking her, I would shrink back in fear of sounding like a ‘Jesus Freak’ or worse, providing her an opportunity to think me a hypocrite. I of course know that neither of these excuses would hold weight but I nonetheless never told her.
Today, I take the opportunity to publicly thank my college friend Marci. After college graduation, I went through a weird dark period in my life. Marci had been a sorority sister of mine and moved to town to take a job. She had her own apartment (I admired her bravery because I was too chicken to even think about moving out) and I would visit every now and then. On one particular visit she was playing an Amy Grant album. Amy Grant was considered a ‘cross over’ artist at the time (cross over from Contemporary Christian to Pop) and I was familiar with her top 40 songs. But as the album continued to play, I heard her sing words and phrases that I had never heard b4. I remember sitting on Marcy’s country blue sofa feeling like I had been hit by a ton of bricks when I heard “In My Father’s Eyes” and then “Thy Word”.
I have always loved music, all kinds; classical, rock, pop, ethnic etc, but up until that point my experience with contemporary Christian music had only been Guitar Mass at my parish. I told Marcy that I really liked those songs and she GAVE me the cassette. Right there on the spot she GAVE me that cassette. And so, began my love affair with Christian music. That summer as I continued to work out my issues and as Douglas and I began dating, I found that the lyrics of Amy Grant, Twila Paris and Sandy Patti gave me words for prayer when I had none. The songs had the ability to take me out of my present darkness and raise me up high enough to see the end of the tunnel. For me, I consider this my introduction to the Holy Spirit. God knows that there have been many times that I wanted to tell/plead/ask/demand the Lord for something,,,,express myself in a meaningful and beautiful way but come up short.until I’d tune into the Christian radio station and BAM, there they were. The Holy Spirit always knows what I want to say!
I now covet my collection of contemporary Christian music. My favorite bands and songs change as often as my mood and thank goodness for itunes!!! I can pick a particular song when ever I want to…and we are fortunate that down here in the south there is more than one radio station to choose from, so it is pretty easy for me to find a song to sing along with. (or it will be when I get my car radio fixed) (hint hint Douglas….Mother’s Day/Birthday)
Bottom line for me, I’m never far away from a little inspiration from the Holy Spirit!!
So, thank you Marci for brining the Holy Spirit to me!
*** if you want to listen to a few of my favorite contemporary christian tunes...click the playlist to the left!! what does the Holy Spirit want to say for you?????
Monday, May 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Is this the Marci that I know? If it is, have you heard any thing about her and how she is doing?
Brings back a few memories from that time period. Love auntm.
how is Miss R doing.She is following more and more in my foot steps, with the tummy issue. I bet GG would have a cure for her! again love aunt m.how is v,k,andk and d and s?
yeah, thanks for saying Goodbye!!!
yes, same marci!!
she is well. lives a bit north of you all. R is much much better!! now i just have to get the wee ones up to speed!!
ok gg...
hope they all get well soon.
Hey it is wednesday where is the update
one of your stalkers
WW
Post a Comment