
Some Sunday gospel readings hit you more than others. The cool thing about having the Liturgical calender (for me) is that the seasons and readings are the same..(I like consistency) but they can mean different things to you from year to year. Each time you hear/read a particular gospel you may pick up on something different than you have in the past.
Today was one of those days for me. The Gospel reading (Matthew 14:22-33) tells us of a day when the apostles were in a boat late one evening when they saw what they thought was a ghost. This ghost was Jesus himself back from the mountain where he had gone to pray and mourn the loss of his cousin. Jesus told Peter to not be afraid and Peter challenged him by asking him to command him to walk on water. Jesus did as Peter asked and told him to Get out of the boat and walk on the water. Peter did walk confidently for a bit but then got scared when the winds picked up…in that fearful state Peter began to sink. Peter asked for Jesus to save him and of course our Lord held out his hand and lifted Peter to safety.
For me, I think that this past year we have been safe in our proverbial boat. Despite the illness that hubby has been fighting…we have had the best year of our lives. I’ve talked about that b4. It was easy for us to turn off the phones and be in our denial bubble when ever we wanted to be.
But, we find ourselves in a different place now. Preparing to go home;…home to a place where denial won’t be an option. I feel that Jesus is saying to us…go ahead…come out of the boat and head home…..if you are fearful I’ll be here to lift you up…but keep your eyes firmly fixed on me and there you will be ok.
Not as profound as some might think…but as I was listening today..it all kind of came together for me. I will continue to pack knowing that Jesus’ handmaidens back home are preparing the way for me and my family. I know that those friends and family are the living hands of God….held out for us to grab….they will also support our heads when it is difficult for us to look up and stare our Lord in the eyes.
We prepare for our last week here in BG. Bittersweet to say the least. The goodbyes will not come easily…..i’m sure that I will shed many tears as the weekend approaches. but i must accept that a new happy ever after awaits my family somewhere else.
(ps...size XL in life preserver gear :)
5 comments:
S.
That is one of my favorite stories...I love the book of Matthew. What a comfort to know Our Lord is right beside us, especially in times like this.
B.W.
Teamwork V Teamwork !!!!
GO USA!!!
WOW!!
B Team,
We can not wait for your return!
You blogs are beautiful!
MB
Wow Sheri!! What a powerful and beautiful message. God is Great!!
Thanks for sharing.
Love to all with hugs & kisses
Grandma and Grandpa B
God I can not wait for you all to get home.
See you soon
Wanda
Post a Comment